Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pre Trip Thoughts from Les

With the packing party behind us, we have successfully stowed this stuff for the guys at Dar El Awlad: 32 pairs of Nikes, a small mountain of socks, BU shirts, posters, pens, pencils, erasers, rulers, notepads, thumb drives, crayons, colored markers, toothbrushes, toothpaste, volleyballs, basketballs, dodgeballs, matchbox cars and assorted small toys, gum, ball caps, balloons (water), noodles and other craft supplies, towels, whole bean coffee, corn muffin mix, chocolate chips, jelly beans, a coffee maker and more. We also managed to squeeze in some open hearts and minds, laughter and smiles.
Having made this journey a year ago, many of the past anxieties are gone. I now know the faces I expect to see and the laughter I expect to hear. I know the language I won’t understand and the warmth in which I will be received. I know there will be games I will play and songs I can’t sing. These things are familiar to me.

In anticipation of departure, some of the old anxieties return. Who will look after those we care for while we are gone? How will my responsibilities be met in my absence? What if…?

Thankfully, my source of comfort and peace remains the same this year as last. I am reminded to “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths. ” Prov. 3:5-6.

Thanks be to God!

~Les Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment