Monday, July 6, 2015

A Reflection on Calling

In light of several friends who have been in the midst of transitions and the summer mission’s devotions, I’ve been thinking through the idea of calling recently. Some of us are called to certain things and others are called away from certain things. We are called to serve in a variety of different ways in certain places in a certain time. Most people who know me well, know that I often go between feeling like I’m doing exactly what I’m supposed to be doing and not having a clue what I should be doing in life.
The last few days, I’ve had the opportunity to consider the idea of calling in the midst of this beautiful setting that is Dar El Awlad. I’m always amazed by the staff that are called to this place to love and care for the boys here. There are a few families who have been here for decades serving generations of boys and a new house mother who just started in a unit last night with her first group of boys ever. All of them have responded to a call to serve in this place at this particular time with a wonderful group of boys.
I’m also always in awe by the group of boys and children that we’re working with this week who have been called to this place while being called away from another place. There are children who have found their way here after leaving unthinkable situations such as war torn countries, persecution for becoming Christians, or difficult family situations. It’s unbelievable to hear their stories, to hear the things they’ve seen or experienced, and to also see the joy that they are still able to have at this place.

I’m still not completely sure about my calling half the time, but I pray that I can begin to lean into the calling that we have this week. To be present, to laugh and have fun, and to relentlessly learn from and love the boys and staff here.

-Josh Caballero

No comments:

Post a Comment