Sunday, June 30, 2013

Looking Forward

This past March, I traveled out of the country for the first time in my life to Istanbul. I recall coming into the city, drowsy and tired, and seeing the 2nd largest city in the world sprawled across two continents. The minarets burst into the skyline, welcoming me into a land that I realized was certainly not my own, looking nothing like my native Texas. And frankly, I could not have been more excited to be there. When I think about going to Lebanon and visiting Dar el Awlad for the first time, I hope the excitement I felt upon arriving in Istanbul is similar to my arrival in Beirut. Admittedly, there was a little nervousness about going due to uncontrollable circumstances in Syria, but I knew that if I allowed myself to be driven away from going because of violence and the affects it could have on me, I would continually question whether I have the courage to live out my calling as a Christian outside of the stability of America. It is a question that I certainly do not want an answer to. I'm honored that God has allowed me to be in this position at this time during my life to serve whomever will allow me to serve them at Dar el Awlad, and to be served by allowing the narratives of the boys at Dar el Awlad to become a part of my story. Overall, I'm looking forward to an exciting time full of adventures and stories that I will be ready to share when I come back to Texas. Hopefully, one of those stories will be how I got one of them to sing a George Strait song with me.

TC Baack

No comments:

Post a Comment